Thursday, January 15, 2015

Memorizing Scripture

We're memorizing a couple different longer passages from the Bible this year, actually we started most of them last year but are continuing with them. One of them is Romans 6-8.  I found a CD of Romans 6-8 put to music.  This is such a great passage of Scripture, but it is complex and difficult to memorize. We're finding it much easier to music. Here is a link to the website for Songs of Scripture.  The Romans Project is the one we're using. 

 We've also been working on the Sermon on the Mount.Sermon on the Mount - DVD We've been working on it on our own, but I have a DVD of Keith Ferrin quoting it with meaning and passion and I think I'll try using it for our memory-time.  You can get this Keith Ferrin Sermon on the Mount 



DVD here.  Keith Ferrin has lots of resources for helping you and your family memorize and meditate on Scripture.  His website is That You May Know Ministries.

I told my children this week that we really don't know what the future will hold for us as Christians.  It may be that we are in prison someday and it will be a tremendous gift to have the beautiful Word of God stored in our hearts.  Actually, if we memorize it we have it ready for meditation anytime and anywhere....  

What do you use to help you memorize?  








1 comment:

  1. Hello Patti. Wish you and your family a very blessed, prosperous and a very Christ centered New year. I am so blessed to know you and your family through your profile on the blogger and I am also glad to stop by your blog post which speaks about memorizing scriptures. It is so great to memorize scripture portions. I did it when I was small and my parents were keen on getting scriptures memorized and if we do not do it we would not get food for that particular day. But as I became young that practice did not last long. I became Pastor and I did memorize important verses from the Bible but did not take time to memorize portions of Bible as you are doing. Lately my associate Pastor introduced it to the Church to memorize Psalms. I am now 65yrs of age and I thought that it is not possible for me to do it but then I was so motivated by the young Pastor, I started doing it and I realized it that I still can memorize the scripture. I am blessed by your post. well I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai, India a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people as well as adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have some of your grown up (teen aged) children to come to Mumbai on a short / long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete